Gnadenhütten (German: [gnaːdn̩hʏtn̩]; lit. '"huts of grace"') the name of settlements founded by the German Moravian Church. The word was transliterated as Canatanheat by the missionary John Brainerd in his account.
Two settlements in the North American colonies were named Gnadenhütten. Each suffered massacres, called the Gnadenhütten massacre:
- Gnadenhütten, Pennsylvania, in 1755 during the Seven Years' War (called the French and Indian War in the US)
- Gnadenhütten, Ohio, in 1782 during the American Revolutionary War
- "'Gnade' (German for grace); a word with which the names of many places founded by the Moravians begin", Encyclopædia Americana, 1831 
- Thomas Brainerd, John Brainerd: The Life of John Brainerd: The Brother of David Brainerd, and His Successor as Missionary to the Indians of New Jersey ..., Presbyterian Publication Committee, 1865, p.197. Footnote: "This was, doubtless, Gnadenhütten, founded by the Moravians in 1746. It was situated on the Mahoning Creek, near the Lehigh River,..."